Saturday, December 30, 2006

Back In The Gray

Leave was awesome. Leaving wasn't. Now I'm back here, in these empty barracks, like some kind of minimum security prison ghost town. The latrine across from my room is sickening. Both urinals are out of order and full of piss. The smell is awful. I go all the way down the hall to the other one now. Blew a lot of money for Christmas, so I'm clinging to the new paycheck as intelligently as I can.

Got a digital camera now. Maybe I'll share a few pictures now and then. Not sure why I still bother with anonymity, I'm sure the Pentagon already knows who I am. But the less attention, the better. They executed Saddam while I layed on my bed and slept through Rocky. Now I just need to keep busy in my little oblivion until everyone comes back and the tempo picks up.

Before leave, we had the field training exercise that everyone here knows about. Julie Anna wrote about it a little. On my end, for the most part it wasn't too interesting. I'm not going to really touch on what exactly we were doing as far as missions go, seeing as I'm still being as adamant as I can about not giving away any more information than is already thrown out there with all the care of a flicked cigarette butt in a haystack.

Several elements make up a day in actual soldiering, as far as our part goes. Details, waiting/eating, preparing, waiting, rolling out, waiting/anticipating/searching/whatever, and actual contact, well that's a variable. As far as I'm concerned, you get your game face on and go out and do whatever the mission is, and take it from there. No sense complicating it.

More thoughts/stories/rants/babblings as they come.

1 comment:

julie anna said...

I hear you loud and clear. I probably shouldn't have written so much about the training. I'll be more careful in the future and edit what I can now.

Glad you had a nice vacation. I'm sure Uncle Sam is thrilled to have you back even if you're not.