Friday, September 15, 2006

Life's too short...

This really has nothing to do with Ryan, but I feel like I've learned an extremely valuable lesson...A friend of mine, who I went through Confirmation with in 7th grade, who I snuck drinks with junior year of high school in the local bowling alley parking lot, this girl that I lost touch with and just last month got in touch with again, instant messaged me yesterday. Her husband is in the Air Force, and was TDY for a few months. They have a year and a half old daughter, and she's due the day after tomorrow with their second daughter. The Air Force arranged to have Mike come home a few days early, just in case anything happened with her pregnancy. They were 40 miles away from town when another car crossed the median and hit the end of their van, sending it into a tailspin before it went off a 40 foot cliff. The two chiefs in front were okay, thanks to the airbags, but Mike was thrown out and hit his head on a boulder. They brought him to the hospital yesterday via Mercy Flight, and I genuinely believed he would pull through, that everything would be okay and he'd wake up and they'd go on as if nothing ever happened...until Rachel told me tonight they'd pronounced him dead ten minutes to 5 this evening...

I can't even imagine...this has to be every wife/mother's worst nightmare. Suddenly getting mad at Chris for taking the Powerade I was going to use for my lunch seems so trivial...so foolish. Would I be upset about the damn juice if he was going to be gone forever, tomorrow? I just remembered this quote I read, "A husband snoring is the sweetest sound in the world. Ask any widow." It's so true. I can't imagine what good can come out of this, but I know God has a plan, even if we can't understand it yet...but I know I'll think twice before I get upset with my mom for caring a little too much, or aggravated with my husband for not folding the towels just right. Life is too short, too unpredictable...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some times terrible things happen to very good people for no reason.

That was one of the most difficult lessons in life for me to accept.

julie anna said...

I am so sorry.