Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Detail Hookers

I can't go on leave because I went home on emergency leave earlier. Those of us left on Rear D are tasked for CQ rotations (24 hour duty at a desk in the barracks), plus a large and unlucky handful of us, myself included of course, are assigned flag detail for a 4th of July ceremony. We've begun rehearsal.

So there I am, holding Maine's state flag. We were all just handed random flags, and that's what I ended up with. The wind is flapping, and the tassles on the flag at one point hit me square in the eye before I could even blink. The ceremony will be in Class A's. On the 4th of July. Its too hot to be wearing them all day, but we will anyway. I love that. The flag also likes to wrap around your face while you're standing at attention, and there's nothing you can do about it, even when trying to march. I honestly hate this crap.

My platoon sergeant was there, assisting the I Corps people on coaching us, til he was told to 'sit down and let Corps' handle this. If Corps is going to handle this, why the fuck are WE there? I hate ceremonies with a passion, I always have. My own graduation was a joke to me. Just some dog and pony show tradition that people carry on. I can understand the honor of unit history and Esprit de Corps and all of that, but come on. I signed up to be an Infantryman, not color guard.

I'll keep you all posted, as I'm sure a mildly amusing story or two may come from this. For now, I have to go to the sew shop and get my Class A's updated. If I had it my way, I'd never even wear the damned things. My Sunday Best is field stained fatigues and smeared mud on my cheeks and a perma-scowl, dammit. Leave the pretty stuff to Barbie & Ken.

2 comments:

julie anna said...

Sounds like fun. I love the 4th of July here- the army does a good job with everything. But then my day is spent having a BBQ and watching fireworks, not stuck carrying Maine's flag.

BigD said...

They can dress you up, but, we can't take you and your old "perma-scowl" anywhere. This sounds similar to the not dressed right for the party story. I feel your pain bud, I hate getting dressed up for anything. Anytime I need "nice" clothes, I get all mad and frustrated and don't want to go. The whole dirty fatigue thing sounds very appealing. Even still, I bet you clean up real nice! :)