Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Priorities

Every time I've thought about my situation lately, I've always done one thing without fail. I became pissed off. That alone doesn't do anything, and moping certainly doesn't do anything. So I figured I'd seek the wisdom of a true badass.

What would John Wayne do?

The answer? Well, he'd probably slap the one reprimanding him and demand they focus on the mission. Probably not the best idea. But a better idea surfaces as a result: Take it like a freaking man and learn from it. I screwed up, but the game isn't over yet. Would Ditka complain? No, he may tackle the MPs and use their vehicle as the getaway car and find a REAL party, but he certainly wouldn't feel sorry for himself. Chuck Norris...would probably stroke his beard and then roundhouse kick anyone in his vicinity, while doing a commercial for the Total Gym. But he'd be damned if he'd shed a tear.

I'm relieved. For a minute there, I forgot that I am truly and inarguably awesome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're absolutely right. I'm proud of you... As a mom, when a kid does something, you watch for signs of a balance between self-punishment and moving on. You want them to feel bad for what they did, so they learn something, but you don't want them to beat themselves up over it.

I can remember my mom and dad getting a knock at the door at 3:00 in the morning, seeing the police standing there, telling them that they had to go pick up your uncle (17 years old), in jail 3 hours away, for underage drinking. Dad didn't say anything to him for the entire 3 hour drive back. Finally, my brother broke down, saying, "Just hit me, or something!"

You put yourself before the butt-kicking machine long enough. You screwed up, now what? I hope you have learned by now that mistakes make the man. How you deal with them will shape who you are.

I think you have always been one that sees things in priority order. Like I've always told you - it's life lessons. Don't do anything that can't be undone. No one died. No one was hurt. Don't confuse a bad action with a bad person. If this happened to your best friend, what would you say to him? When you look in the mirror, look through the eyes of your best friend. And see it for what it is - a very inexpensive lesson. You are still the same wonderful person you were a week ago - just a little bit wiser. I am very, very proud of you for seeing this for what it is, and not blaming everyone else. So quit beating yourself up.
...and be nice to your knuckles.

jentard said...

chuck norris is the man
:)