Saturday, April 22, 2006

Right In Two

Today is my only day off. Tomorrow I get up at 4:30 to get ready to do more of this EIB stuff. I could have ordered some tickets to see Tool perform in Seattle on May 2nd, but that's a Tuesday that we happen to be working late on. All for this EIB that I probably won't get this year. I'm not being melodramatic, I just don't care about the badge. The upside is that there's a lot of good training we're getting out of this, that we usually don't from day to day.

These days, I'm pretty much just existing here. Its all becoming tedious and monotonous, the way it always does, the way everything does. How it all comes in phases and cycles, a lot like the tides do. There really isn't anything that I'm looking forward to. In the somewhat near future, we'll be spending more time in Yakima, and who knows what else. I'm just along for the ride, really. Its all kind of like a roadmarch. You just keep putting one foot in front of the other. No point in trying to rationalize it, you just keep on doing it. If you think about it too much, it makes it that much harder. I'd buy a car if I had anything to do off post. Since I don't, I'd pretty much just be dumping money down the drain, and giving people rides to buy alcohol on the weekends.

But to be optimistic, there is one thing I can say. Being mind-numbingly bored like this is better than being down and depressed. Oh, and apparently someone in the distant area around here got into a small amount of trouble over OPSEC. I don't really know the details, and I don't care a whole lot either. Apparently I haven't screwed up so far. And it looks like people from Fort Lewis are starting to find this site as well. Kind of a weird feeling. Reminds me of that really crappy Christian Slater movie about the high school dude who starts his own pirate radio station or something like that, and pisses the PTA and the FCC off. Another correlation: I'm starting to think that this generation is just as lame as the one from that movie. Just different flavors of What The Hell Were We Thinking? Pop culture will probably always suck, which really makes you wonder how it all works. Wait, no I think I have a potential answer. Its in mankind's nature to totally and completely suck. Yeah, that makes sense to me. That certainly is one profound little quote there. You'll be seeing that at the beginning of books in the future.

"Its in mankind's nature to totally and completely suck."
-The Unlikely Soldier

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Infantry guy,

The EIB impresses the crap out of us non-infantry guys who know what you did to get it. It's a lot of work I'm sure, but pretty cool. It also means you really know your shit. I was in an Inf Bn [2nd Bn (Abn), 504th Inf] for a year and was one of very few guys not wearing it.

The Army is kind of like the boy scouts (except for the heavy artillery and no adult supervision), your objective is to collect pretty baubles to put on your uniform.

Lynda and I really enjoy reading your blog. Your sense of humor isn't just dry, it's arid.

Uncle Paul

Anonymous said...

Hey Ry! I read your blog all the time, and thought I would tell you how much I enjoy it. I am so very proud of you. You've come a long way from the little boy that wrote and "illistrated" his own books in grade school. It's nice to see how your WARPED sense of humor shines through. Now quit smoking, quit cussing, and quit drinking. Or you're grounded! =-> Love you. Mom