Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Blood Wings

In a rush, so this should be a quick post. Finally got promoted to PFC (Private First Class). The metallic pin on rank has needles on the back that are held in place with brass clips, and is worn on both collars of the BDU blouse. When you get promoted, there's a tradition where the rank is pinned on your collars, and without applying the brass clips on the bottoms of the needles, pretty much anyone in your chain of command or anyone who outranks you then thumps both insignias, causing little piercings, hence "Blood Wings". I got hit quite a bit. My left collar didnt get it too bad. As for the right...


4 comments:

Haley said...

Wow, that looks really painful. Hi, I'm Haley, by the way!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS RYAN!!! BTW, I thought they stopped doing that blood wings nonsense, but I guess that was too much to hope for. It was originally a "Jumpwings" kind of thing and I guess it migrated over to everyone else; what fun. ;)

Take care and have fun in the field!
Lynda

Jen said...

Eww that's gross...You guys all sterilized the pins first, right? ;)

Anonymous said...

Congrats man. Those stabs look like they feel pretty nice. Did you just get the promotion cause you look so damn good in BDUs or was it cause you actually DO something in the army?
I havent talked to you in a while...Well, I geuss I talked to you yesterday, but no offence, that wasnt much of a conversation.
Anyway, I am glad to see that you are getting the rank you deserve. Keep it up man.
Love you, and again, nice job
Cory