Wednesday, February 01, 2006

5.56mm Deja Vu

The past two days, we've just been working on reflexive fire techniques out on one of the rifle ranges. It seems like I'm becoming nearly complacent with this whole Army thing. Nothing that we do is overly exciting or seems special. When I expend seven full magazines of ammunition, 210 rounds, to me, its like throwing a basketball through a hoop casually as you take the trash out. It feels that commonplace and ordinary. Each day comes and passes. Its all pretty much the same. Morning PT, some downtime, then a formation, and then its weapons draw and head to a range, or else its a class, or its weapons maintenance, or some other tiny thing. If time permits, afternoon PT, and final formation. Free time, sleep, repeat.

At the same time, its true that we aren't doing a whole lot that's completely amazing. We've got guys away training, and other guys learning something else, and those of us behind are trying to keep busy I suppose. Either way, its still the same routine, and days turn into weeks. I haven't been following the news, and I didn't watch Bush's little talk yesterday. Heard some guys talking about Iran, whatever. I'll concern myself with that later, possibly this weekend, possibly not. I try to keep busy most of the time.

But seeing as this won't be a stellar post, but a yawning brief narrative intended to ensure everyone that I haven't dropped off the face of the earth, I'll get to today's summary.

As always, PT, then we gathered all our gear and had an inspection (an NCO demanding we show him each item on the packing list) and grabbed our M4s. After we accomplished this landmark feat, we all earned every penny we're paid by sitting in the Day Room (barracks version of a living room) and playing the waiting game. Hurry up and Wait, your daily dose of cliche. We didn't even make it out to the range until about 10:30 or so, and once we were there, just as we were ready to start firing, all the ranges on post were given a 'check fire', meaning "Don't shoot". Apparently some artillery guys screwed something up, though I don't know what. As far as I know, the PX is still on this plane of existence, so that's a plus.

Finally at around 2:30, we were able to start firing. So really, all we did were drills involving reflex using your rifle when a whistle is blown or someone yells "Target up" or something quirky like that. Sounds great, but as always, its done at a snail pace. We had a lot of ammo and not a whole lot of people out there, so everyone got plenty of trigger time. I know I spent more than 300 rounds, but I don't THINK I used more than 500. Hey, who's counting right? My M4 is filthy, and we'll all be spending more time cleaning our weapons, which we seem to do a lot of.

So there you basically have an address that is less vague, and more honest, devoid of agenda. The State of The Unlikely Soldier Address, a gift to the common populace in exchange for their tax dollars to pay my wages. In closing, readers of The Best Blog In The Universe, I am faring very well, and am enjoying my army career at a reasonable level. Not too whiny, not too Hooah. Though I am bummed that I don't have anything to really write about as of now. Tune in next time.

No comments: