Wednesday, November 09, 2005

More MOUT

MOUT - n. military acronym.
Military Operations in Urban Terrain.

We hopped on buses, as opposed to the more common cattle trucks, and rode our happy asses to one of the billions of ranges here on this fanciful post. Weather conditions weren't bad, so there's something else to be greatful for.

At the moment, I'm preparing my room for an inspection, and as a result, this post has already taken me several hours to complete. So I'm going to rush it, and I hope its half decent. If not, well then you can always read "For Whom The Bell Tolls", because it drags on in parts worse than I could ever dream of.

The major and only focus of the day's training was entering and clearing buildings. Naturally, this has become an important military task. I wrote about being the poor fool inside the building when the big bad boys of U. S. of Fuckin A come storming in. Now here's a brief description of what its like to raid a decently constructed MOUT house.

In my team, I got to be the guy who breaches the door. This MOUT site actually HAD doors. Aww yeah. Get some. So when I got the signal, I'd run up, do something that I'm supposed to do that I'm not going to tell you about, and when ready, I'd kick that door in and get out of the way to let my crew into the room and I'd pour in at the end of the line. Violence of action? We've got it. Clearing rooms is one hell of a rush. I can't imagine what the real thing is like. From the moment I got the signal to the moment I heard the team leader say "Room clear," I didn't get one thought out. Just perception and action. Simplify to the point where the bullshit is gone. For once, I wasn't half day-dreaming. The only other time I've ever been that focused was while playing my guitar. And as soon as that particular run was over and we were having our After Action Report (AAR), we'd be asked to go over what all happened.

I had to seriously think HARD on what had happened. Its all a blur. By the time that I would make it in the room, guns were already ablaze. The only things on my mind were where my buddies were in the room, where the target was, and what my sector of fire was. There were a few other details as well, but does it really matter? The point is that clearing rooms is a rush. When we switched over to live ammo, things really kicked into a higher gear. You have to be fast, aggressive, decisive, perceptive, and SAFE all at the same time.

Our company commander watched a few of our iterations and he said that I really had him and my team fired up. Allegedly, I handled the training with a high degree of motivation and intensity. On one hand, its cool to be complimented and all that, but I'm not sure how I feel about that attention. Does this mean he'll have his eye on me from now on? Heh, life goes on. I'm just doing my job. Odd though, one of the few times I REALLY get into what we're doing, someone happens to be looking. Shit. To make matters worse (or maybe better, or both), when I came back from the range and was about to turn my weapon into the arms room, the supply sergeant mentioned that he heard that the CO was impressed.

Like I said, that's cool and all, but I don't see why no one else was mentioned. The kid who took point every time, with two groups, no less, was kicking ass. He almost always had the target down in one shot, before anyone else could even take a crack at it. Where's his kudos?

Right here.

No comments: