Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Reality TV Is The Meaning Of Life

Well, here comes a rather bitter and menstrual post from your favorite geek. A nice sour lemon for you to suck on, and temporarily make your face scrunch up in the most bitter-beer of ways.

Looking back at my posts from when I was PREPARING to join this lovely, absolutely wonderful organization that never fucks people over, I was reminded of my original aspirations. I was attempting to become an infantryman (instead I was designated an 11C mortarman, which is still technically infantry, but that's HIGHLY debatable. In fact, if it weren't for the fact that I'd lose what little traffic I do get, I'd change the name from eleven-bravo, which I am not, to eleven-charlie, or something sarcastic and angry. Leaving the name as eleven-bravo is sarcastic enough now) and also to attain Airborne status. Well wouldn't you know it, I didn't get airborne school.

Now, I'm assigned to a unit that doesn't even have Strykers yet. Its a unit of firsts. Still not on its feet, and vastly different from what I had expected. All in all, its really not a big deal. Life has an annoying habit of going on, regardless of what happens. We'll see what comes from this whole experience.

3 comments:

membrain said...

From my experience nothing ever works out the way you want in the Army. But that's the nature of the beast. I for example did make it to jump school ( I was in the Signal Corps) and passed but there was no room on the active jump roster which meant I was in a long line waiting for someone to get seriously injured or transferred until I would even move up the line to be on the roster.

I hope every thing goes well for you. My hunch is that you''ll roll with the punches and come out smiling.

I just finished reading two Civil War books: Gods and a Generals, and The Killer Angels, both excellent and both examples of how little has changed with respect to individual Soldier's aspirations.

Fortunately, a great deal has changed with respect to how American Soldiers are trained and equipped. The modern American Army is the best army in history.

One thing that won't ever change is the Soldier's penchant for griping. But if they weren't griping something would be terribly wrong. LOL. Take care.

Jen said...

Ryan...I know you're gonna say I'm dumb and whatever, but why do you say mortarmen aren't really infantry? I don't know anything about the way infantry works.:D (What is a Stryker??) Just curious...PS. Do you not want me to tell people about your blog? I kinda already told Chris about it. He thinks your descriptions of the training are hilarious. He actually said he hates the way the Air Force seems to be just for show half the time and wishes they can do more to make a difference. I hope you're having a better day today. Love, JenTard

themorethingschange... said...

".... Life has an annoying habit of going on, regardless of what happens..."

I feel perfectly safe in sharing this senior citizen's view of life because I showed up here about three years late: A) Life is seldom predictable and B) no amount of learning is wasted.

~P~

doggone those letters!!